Cabin Resident Position Description
I Can Make It! Camp by Jackson Area Manufacturers Association
Applications Accepted: January 6-March 27, 2020
Position Title: Cabin Resident
Position Type: Independent Contractor
Location: Camp McGregor (Jackson, MI)
Dates of contract:
- Staff Training & Camper Orientation– June 20, 2020 (1-7PM)*
- Camp – June 22-26, 2020 (5PM-8:15AM Monday-Friday morning)
*Training and optional promotional opportunities are paid at $15 per hour. All other contract dates are included in the rate of this contract.
Reports to: Camp Director
Camp Mission: Provide youth of Jackson County with hands-on learning experiences built around real, practical applications for science, technology, engineering, art and math, and empower youth to solve problems in the world around them.
Position Summary: This role is all about letting campers have fun, participating in games, and keeping them safe during the evening and overnight hours. You’ll arrive during dinner and facilitate your cabin group’s evening schedule, stay overnight in an assigned cabin, manage bedtime and morning routines, and support any campers through the night who have a hard time being away from home. It’s important that you’re both playful and patient in this role – it’s your job to play with campers AND help them through what is often their first overnight camp.
What you should already know how to do:
- Act like a kid and jump in on games with 4th-6th grade youth (if you’re not playing, you’re not doing your job!)
- Get to know youth on a personal level and in a professional way
- Keep calm when dealing with kids, even if you’re tired
- Be able to be both playful AND highly responsible while coordinating a large group of children
What we’ll train you to do:
- Keep your campers together, safe and entertained during meal times, learning experiences and extracurricular activities
- Become your camper’s go-to camp staff during the night for any personal needs
- Intentionally promote personal management, adaptability, community and teamwork in campers & staff within all curriculum, interactions and extracurricular activities
- Follow safety & disciplinary procedures as expected by Jackson Area Manufacturers Association
Requirements of the position:
- Prior experience with large groups of children
- Must be 18+
- Must pass a background check (we will verify)
Physical demands and work environment: Required to sit, stand, walk between indoor facilities and outdoor camp environments: talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools, equipment and/or controls. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. Noise level is typically moderate to loud.
Note: The physical demand and work environment characteristics describes here are representative of those a contractor encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of this position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position. Position will be required to assist in other functions as requested by staff prior to and during camp week.
JAMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.