Lead Innovator Position Description
Jackson Area Manufacturers Association’s I Can Make It! Camp
Applications Accepted: January 6-March 27, 2020
Position Title: Lead Innovator
Position Type: Independent Contractor
Location: Camp McGregor (Jackson, MI)
Dates of contract:
- Staff Training & Camper Orientation– June 20, 2020 (1-7PM)*
- Camp – June 22-26, 2020 (7AM-5:15PM Monday, 8AM-5:15PM Tuesday-Friday)
*Training and optional promotional opportunities are paid at $25 per hour. All other contract dates are included in the rate of this contract.
Camp Week Report Hours: 7AM-5:15PM Monday, 8AM-5:15PM Tuesday-Friday
Reports to: Camp Director
Camp Mission: Provide youth of Jackson County with hands-on learning experiences built around real, practical applications for science, technology, engineering, art and math, and empower youth to solve problems in the world around them.
Position Summary: We don’t want kids to feel like they’re in school, so you’ll be in charge of creating and delivering nontraditional learning experiences for our campers in the “Innovators” group. These campers think outside the box, have an entrepreneurial spirit, easily come up with new ideas, love being creative, and might just invent something that changes the world. Your role includes developing a curriculum that equips Innovators with the knowledge, experience, and tools they need to solve specific real-world problems, managing inventory to make sure you have what you need on site, and delivering the curriculum in hands-on, kid-driven ways (with the help of your Assistant Teacher and Counselor in Training).
What you should already know how to do:
- Develop and deliver hands-on, STEM-based learning experiences for 4th-6th grade youth
- Relate individual lessons with real-world scenarios and soft skills in development (such as teamwork)
- Mentor high school and college aged staff so they leave camp a better leader & teacher than they arrived
What we’ll train you to do:
- Utilize the Jackson County ISD Library to create a nontraditional curriculum for Innovators camp group
- Intentionally promote personal management, adaptability, community and teamwork in campers & staff within all curriculum, interactions and extracurricular activities
- Conduct initial and end-of-camp inventory for curriculum equipment, storing and caring for equipment so it remains in excellent condition
- Follow safety & disciplinary procedures as expected by Jackson Area Manufacturers Association
Requirements of the position:
- Bachelor’s Degree & Michigan teaching certification
- Must pass a background check (we will verify)
Physical demands and work environment: Required to sit, stand, walk between indoor facilities and outdoor camp environments: talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools, equipment and/or controls. Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. Noise level is typically moderate to loud.
Note: The physical demand and work environment characteristics describes here are representative of those a contractor encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of this position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position. Position will be required to assist in other functions as requested by staff prior to and during camp week.
JAMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.