Lifeguard Position Description
I Can Make It! Camp by Jackson Area Manufacturers Association
Applications Accepted: January 6-March 27, 2020
Position Title: Lifeguard
Position Type: Independent Contractor
Location: Camp McGregor (Jackson, MI)
Dates of contract:
- Camp – June 22-26, 2020 (assigned hours only)
Reports to: Camp Director
Camp Mission: Provide youth of Jackson County with hands-on learning experiences built around real, practical applications for science, technology, engineering, art and math, and empower youth to solve problems in the world around them.
Position Summary: You must have a current Lifeguard & Water Safety certification to apply for this role. You’ll be responsible for the safety of a large group of young campers during their 1-2 hours of daily swim time. If you’re uncomfortable in chaos or have a hard time balancing fun and responsibility, this isn’t the job for you! You can apply for this role in conjunction with an Assistant Teacher, Cabin Resident and/or First Aid position.
What you should already know how to do:
- Manage large groups of children during swim time in a lake (swim area is marked)
- Create & follow stern rules that keep campers safe
- Take initiative and save a camper’s life if necessary
- Provide initial medical attention to injured children and adults until First Aid arrives
- Keep calm and attentive when dealing with kids outdoors
What we’ll train you to do:
- File any necessary first aid reports
- Call First Aid staff in an emergency situation and report any medical concerns during transitions
- Follow safety & disciplinary procedures as expected by Jackson Area Manufacturers Association
Requirements of the position:
- Current Lifeguard & Water Safety certification
- Prior experience with children in a swim setting
- Must be 18+
- Must pass a background check (we will verify)
Physical demands and work environment: Required to sit, stand, walk between indoor facilities and outdoor camp environments: talk and hear; and ability to touch and handle tools, equipment and/or controls. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Noise level is typically moderate to loud.
Note: The physical demand and work environment characteristics describes here are representative of those a contractor encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above information describes the general duties and requirements necessary to perform the principle functions of this position. This shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the duties and requirements that may be necessary in this position. Position will be required to assist in other functions as requested by staff prior to and during camp week.
JAMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.