Website Xcel Staffing
This position sets up and/or operates conventional and special purpose extrusion and CNC machines. Programmers are responsible for reading and interpreting design blueprints, programming CNC machines and adjusting the machine settings to produce the component outlined in the program. Based on company size, incumbent is expected to perform other duties depending on specific assignment.
Operator Operates equipment set-up by others
Set-Up Level 1 Able to set-up and operate one machine
Set-Up Level 2 Able to set-up and operate multiple machines
Set-Up Level 3 Able to set-up and operate all machines
Program/Set-Up Level 1 Can program and set-up most machines
Program/Set-Up Level 2 Can program and set-up all machines
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Utilizes knowledge of machines, engineering practices, and equipment to produce products according to work order or print.
2. Studies prints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece, sequence of operations, and setup requirements.
3. Measures, marks, and scribes’ dimensions and reference points on material or workpiece as guides for subsequent machining.
4. Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools attachments, accessories, and materials on machines such as mills, lathes, grinders, and drill presses.
5. Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed, coolant flow, and depth and angle of cut, or enters commands to retrieve, input, or edit computerized machine control media.
6. Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjusts machine controls or control media as required.
7. Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications.
8. Fits and assembles parts into complete assembly.
9. Verifies dimension and alignment of assembly.
10. Installs machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, and equipment, and tests operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance.
11. Develops specifications from general description and draws sketch of part or product to be fabricated.
12. Confers with engineers, production personnel, programmers or others to resolve machining or assembly problems.
13. Maintains records/logs of production and machines.
14. May be assigned to work in light assembly, shipping and receiving or, if appropriately licensed, to drive company vehicles for pick-up/delivery.
15. Provides suggestions for continuous improvement, operational and product changes.
16. Consistently demonstrates cooperation with and support of all teammates and management. Demonstrates full commitment to the ELCo Team Code and uses the Team Code as a tool in resolving issues and concerns.
17. Assumes responsibility for own work by signing/dating documents related to job or company responsibilities.
The above duties are representative of the position; it is not all inclusive and other duties may be assigned as business needs dictate.
1. High school diploma; college level courses.
Experience and Knowledge:
1. One-year experience in production. Programmers must have experience with Mastercam software.
1. Ability to operate manufacturing software computer applications to perform set-up or programming, based on position level as operator, set-up, or programmer
1. Verbal and written communication skills; English required.
2. Ability to use verbal and interpersonal skills to build and maintain positive relationships with others.
1. Proficiency in mathematical concepts and computations with high degree of speed and accuracy required.
1. Prolonged standing, reaching, lifting, stooping and bending.
2. Ability to operate production machines and equipment, including lift truck.
3. Ability to operate vehicle for pick-up/delivery or products; may require chauffeur’s license.
4. Frequent interruptions requiring ability to multi-task, change priorities, and refocus on task at hand.
5. Frequent periods of high production, high stress with standing deadlines and flexibility of schedule.
1. Normal manufacturing and warehousing environment with regular exposure to electrical and burn hazards.
2. Ability to flex hours and priorities with willingness to adapt to changing circumstances with little notice.